May 19, 2015
IRVINE, Calif. - Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association (ROHVA)
With Memorial Day approaching, many ROV enthusiasts are planning to take to the trails and dunes for the extended weekend. The Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association, along with major ROV manufacturers and distributors, encourages drivers to operate their ROVs safely and responsibly.
"ROVs are great fun, but that doesn't take away from the importance of driving them responsibly," said ROHVA Executive Vice President Erik Pritchard. "ROHVA has created a series of key guidelines, called ROV Safety Rules, to help ROV drivers and their passengers stay safe."
ROV Safety Rules
- Always fasten your seat belt, wear a helmet and other protective gear and keep all parts of your body inside the ROV.
- Avoid paved surfaces. ROVs are designed to be operated off-highway.
- Drive only in designated areas, at a safe speed, and use care when turning and crossing slopes.
- Never drive or ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Never drive an ROV unless you're 16 or older and have a valid driver's license. ROVs are not toys.
- Never carry more passengers than the ROV is designed for, and never allow a passenger who is too small to sit in a passenger seat to ride in the ROV.
- Read and follow the operator's manual and warning labels.
- Take a hands-on ROV Basic DriverCourse and the free online eCourse. Visit rohva.org or call 866.267.2751
ROV drivers are encouraged to drive safely by following ROHVA's Safety Rules demonstrated in this video.
ROHVA's ROV Basic DriverCourse allows drivers to get behind the wheel for approximately three hours to learn skills crucial for being safe in an ROV. A certified ROHVA DriverCoach guides students through hands-on driving exercises and encourages them to engage in group discussions between exercises. The course includes six closed range exercises and up to seven optional open trail experiences, depending on available terrain. To enroll, click here.
In addition to the DriverCourse, there is a free, interactive eCourse at rohva.org that is ideal for helping first time ROV drivers learn proper safety precautions or for experienced drivers to refresh their ROV skills and safe driving habits. The two-hour eCourse is intended to improve awareness about ROVs and inspire a safety-minded approach to off-road recreation. Users can take the safety course at their leisure. They have the ability stop the course at any time, save their progress, and pick up where they left off at a later time. Click here for more.
The Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association is a national industry organization that promotes the safe and responsible use of ROVs. ROHVA is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) to develop equipment, configuration and performance standards. Based in Irvine, Calif., the not-for-profit association is sponsored by Arctic Cat, BRP, Honda, John Deere, Kawasaki, Polaris and Yamaha. For more information visit rohva.org.